RFDesign - RFD 900x Long Range Modem
- Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup *80km demonstrated by Edge Research labs on a balloon !, 57km in India, on Dipoles.
- 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
- 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
- Transmit low pass filter.
- > 20dB Low noise amplifier, high IP3.
- RX SAW filter.
- All I/O ESD protected and filtered.
- Re implemented SiK and Multipoint SiK firmware, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
- Small, light weight.
- License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ
- Note: Not compatible with older modems
- RF : 2 x RP-SMA connectors
- Serial: Logic level TTL (+3.3v)
- Power: +5v, ~800mA max peak (at maximum transmit power)
- GPIO: 6 General purpose IO (Digital, ADC, PWM capable).
- Frequency Range: 902 - 928 MHz (USA) / 915 - 928 MHz (Australia)
- Output Power: 1W (+30dBm), controllable in 1dB steps ( +/- 1dB @=20dBm typical )
- Air Data transfer rates: 4, 8, 16, 19, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 192 and 250, 500 kbit/sec ( User selectable, 64k default )
- UART data transfer rates: 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 400k, 921k baud ( User selectable, 57600 default )
- Output Power: 1W (+30dBm)
- Receive Sensitivity: >121 dBm at low data rates, high data rates (TBA)
- Size: 30 mm (wide) x 57 mm (long) x 12.8 mm (thick) - Including RF Shield, Heatsink and connector extremeties
- Weight: 14.5g
- Mounting: 3 x M2.5 screws, 3 x header pin solder points
- Power Supply: +5 V nominal, (+3.5 V min, +5.5 V max), ~800 mA peak at maximum power
- Temp. Range: -40 to +85 deg C, tested operational from -73 to +123 deg C.
Software / GCS Support
The software solution is an open source development called "SiK". It has been re implemented to suit the new processor architecture available on the 32bit ARM processor core. A boot loader and interface is available for further development and field upgrade of the modem firmware via the serial port.
Most parameters are configurable via AT commands, Eg. baud rate (air/uart), frequency band, power levels.
Integrated support for configuring the RFD900 radios is supported by APM Planner.
The default settings are at 57600 baud, N, 8, 1, and 64k air data rate.
The RFD900x manual is here: RFD900x Manual
The RFD900x SiK software manual is here : RFD900x Peer-to-peer Manual
Software features include:
- Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS)
- Transparent serial link
- Point to Point, or Multipoint networking
- Configuration by simple AT commands for local radio, RT commands for remote radio
- User configurable serial data rates and air datarates
- Error correction routines, Mavlink protocol framing (user selectable)
- Mavlink radio status reporting (Local RSSI, Remote RSSI, Local Noise, Remote Noise)
- Automatic antenna diversity switching on a packet basis in realtime
- Automatic duty cycle throttling based on radio temperature to avoid overheating
The RFD900 is designed to be compliant with the following standards:
- FCC Part 15.247 (Frequency hopping and digitally modulated intentional radiators)
- AS/NZS 4268:2012 (Radio equipment and systems - short range devices)
The modem is designed for system integrators who will integrate the modem into their own projects and product prototypes. The user is responsible for compliance with local regulations for radio transmitters.
- 1x RFDesign - RFD 900x Long Range Modem
- 902 - 928 MHz (USA) / 915 - 928 MHz (Australia)
- 1W (+30dBm), adjustable in 1dB steps ( +/- 1dB @=20dBm typical )
Air data rates
- 4, 8, 16, 19, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 192 and 250, 500 kbit/sec ( user selectable, 64k default )
UART data transfer rates
- 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 400k, 921k baud ( user selectable, 57600 standard )
- 1W (+30dBm)
- >121 dBm at low data rates, high data rates (TBA)
- 30 mm (wide) x 57 mm (long) x 12.8 mm (thick) - including RF shielding, heat sink and connector ends
- 14,5 g
- 3 x M2.5 screws, 3 x header with solder pads
- +5 V nominal, (+3.5 V min, +5.5 V max), ~800 mA peak at maximum output
Temp. temperature range
- -40 to +85 degrees Celsius, tested from -73 to +123 degrees Celsius.